Monday, April 11, 2011

La Serena, Chile

We spent a night in La Serena (8 hours from Santiago) and went to the Mamalluca observatory in Vicuña.
The observatory was very cool, with a giant telescope inside to see the galaxies and smaller telescopes outside to see double stars and planets. The sky was crystal clear and we could actually see the shapes of the constellations. Other tourists were very impressed with the Southern Cross, and it was amazing to see Saturn so close (through the telescope) that we could make out the rings! 


BUT there are no photos from La Serena!


On the 17 hour bus north from La Serena to Iquique we made a stop at a small town called Caldera and my freakin expensive camera was stolen :(
This older Chilean guy got on the bus and sat across the row from me. He was restless and jumpy kept darting his eyes around everywhere - very suspicious! I made sure I was holding my money and passport, but I thought the rest of my things were ok in the overhead compartment. 
This guy suddenly got up, pretended to put his bag into the overhead by my things, then seemed to change his mind and quickly walked off the bus.
I thought it was dodgy so I checked my stuff and the big camera bag was gone! :(  He was so sneaky, he slipped the bag under his jacket right in front of me! 
I chased him but he'd already disappeared into the night...


Spanish word of the day: to steal = robar



No comments:

Post a Comment